Jump to Benefits of Membership
NMASC Summer Leadership Workshop
participants enjoy four days of team building, leadership skills development, camaraderie and fun.
Established in 1950, the New Mexico Association of Student Councils was founded by a group of educators who wanted to create an organization for student leaders that would encourage them to practice the democratic process, citizenship and service while fostering an exchange of ideas and problem solving strategies in New Mexico's schools.
Today, more than 60 years later, we have become the premier student leadership organization in New Mexico. Each year we serve thousands of students and advisors from member schools all across the state. Our organization is recognized by the National Association of Student Councils (NASC), and we offer leadership training experiences for our members throughout the year. Some of these opportunities for leadership and character development include:
- Fall NMASC/District Conferences
- Annual State Conference
- Summer Leadership Workshop
- Annual attendance at the NASC National Conference
- Advisor training at our state events
- Membership networking opportunities
Each year we present a number of awards to honor our members, including the NMASC Advisor of the Year Award (in both high and middle levels), NMASC Student Council of the Year Award and the Project of the Year Award.
Our governing body is the NMASC Executive Board, elected by member schools, and consists of an Executive Director, four adult board members, and four student officers.
State Conference Locations and Themes
- 2017: Las Cruces High School / "Lights, Camera, LEADERSHIP!"
- 2016: Los Alamos High School / "Radioactive Leaders: Take Charge! Be Positive!"
- 2015: Cibola High School / "A Leader's Journey to Rome"
- 2014: Española Valley High School / "All Aboard to the Valley of Leadership"
- 2013: Atrisco Heritage Academy / "Oceans of Leaders, Waves of Success"
- 2012: West Mesa High School / "Leadership Through the Decades: A Centennial Celebration"
- 2011: Taos High School / "Discover Courage, Knowledge and Heart in the Land of Leadership"
- 2010: Albuquerque High School / "Passport to Leadership"
- 2009: Rio Rancho High School / "The Wonderful World of Leadership"
- 2008: Manzano High School / "Leaders of the Pack"
- 2007: Taos High School / "¡Que Viva Leadership! Spice up the Fiesta!"
- 2006: Santa Rosa High School / "Roll Out the Leadership Carpet"
- 2005: La Cueva High School / "All Aboard the Leader-Ship"
- 2004: Hobbs High School / "Unmask the Leader in You"
- 2003: Raton High School / "Surf the Waves of Life... Create Your Own Paradise"
- 2002: Rio Rancho High School / "At the Heart of Leadership... Lead a Life to Lead Others"
- 2001: Farmington High School / "Rise to the Challenge"
- 2000: Eldorado High School / "Oh, The Dreams You Can Dream"
The NMASC is affiliated with the New Mexico Activities Association (NMAA).
NMASC Executive Board
Advisor to President
West Mesa High School
Advisor to 1st VP
Highland High School
Advisor to 2nd VP
Dexter HS (retired)
Advisor to Secretary
Bernalillo High School
Atrisco Heritage Academy
Your 2015-2016 NMASC State Officer Team (L-R): President Adrianna (Aztech HS), First Vice President Mario (Espanola Valley HS), Second Vice President Matthew (Ruidoso HS), and Secretary Kaelan (Aztec HS)
Each year, thousands of students from all across New Mexico benefit from the leadership training found at NMASC events.
Advisors benefit at NMASC events through opportunities for professional development and the sharing of ideas and strategies with other advisors from around the state.